7 users responded in this post

Subscribe to this post comment rss or trackback url
Nonny said in November 26th, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Is this post intended as a criticism of the Holy Father? It reads like it – perhaps I misunderstand, as I am rather tired today after all. But if that is what is intended, may I dare to say that you kind of proved his point! There is nothing Catholic about taking jabs at the Pope!! You should remove this post pronto. I say this as a very traditional person myself. If I’m wrong ignore me. If I’m right, I respectfully suggest you remove this unseemly post.

Patrick said in November 27th, 2013 at 12:16 am

Criticism of the pope, if done for the right reasons and in the right spirit, is both Catholic and healthy. Can you imagine St Pius X’s reaction to reading something like the above passage? Anathema sit!

Unemotional said in November 27th, 2013 at 7:55 am

The pope is not above criticism, no more than the corrupt medieval popes were above criticism. Worshiping the person of the pope is a very late invention, and one that has nothing to do with authentic or traditional Catholicism. Moreover this post mostly consists of quoting the popes own words: if the popes own words constitute a criticism, we are reAlly in trouble.

Matt88360 said in November 28th, 2013 at 11:37 am

I’m not so sure the pope intends here a swipe at people who prefer the old forms; rather those who take that devotion too far. I’ve found many Catholics attached to the old forms see them as an end in themselves rather than being done for God’s sake, which is the purpose of all liturgical observance. This seems like what the pope has in mind.

Joe Franceski said in November 30th, 2013 at 6:32 pm

There is no secret that however he is trying at the current moment (at least in writing, and written by whom one might wonder) to show a greater amount of traditional Catholicism in his mindset, this Bishop is no friend to Church tradition or the Traditional Mass. He has no enemies on the left, but has a knee jerk reaction against Traditional Catholics. One need only look at the insensitive way his thugs have treated the Franciscans of the Immaculate. What if a rare sensitive Jesuit complained about his community’s handling of orthodoxy or doctrine? There would be no response whatever from this man and his people.

Nonny said in December 3rd, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Fraternal correction can be appropriate. Sarcasm/jabs at the Holy Father, that presume the worst about him or his motives, or jump to defensive conclusions, are not appropriate.

The Holy Father has simply dared to point out what we all know is true (or should): some of us traddies are so rigid and legalistic that we can lose sight of the essential things, including even true love for Christ and our neighbor. If you have never met any traddy like this, you have not been around… For daring to warn us against this, we presume the Holy Father dislikes all tradition-minded people, and we take personal insult?

Instead of being defensive, we should show some docility (a Catholic virtue!) and examine ourselves, to be sure that we do not fall into the category he is speaking of. We should use his words as an opportunity for self-examination and if necessary, correction. I find absolutely nothing in the Pope’s statement that would warrant public disgruntled commentary…

It’s not about worshipping the Pope. It is basic charity and respect for his office.

Nonny said in December 3rd, 2013 at 7:08 pm

PS, by the way, I am not presuming the blog author’s intentions either, as I noted above in my first comment – only that it can be read that way, so would perhaps be better removed…